Almost hidden by trees, Saint Wulfran’s Parish Church nestles into a steeply-rising, east-facing slope of the South Downs, just over half-a-mile from the sea at Ovingdean Gap. It is Grade 1 listed and is believed to be the oldest building within the bounds of the city of Brighton & Hove.
It has been here for at least a thousand years: nobody knows exactly how long, but it is mentioned in the Domesday Book – an “ecclesiola” or “little church”. There was probably a Saxon church on the same site before the present church was built, but it is more likely that the Domesday Book record refers to a new construction built sometime in the period 1066-86.
The church is open every day from 10.00 a.m. until 4.00 p.m for prayer and visits. It is a place of serenity, of peace and reflection. You will be able to see work by the Victorian artist and Ovingdean resident, Charles Eamer Kempe, including beautiful stained glass windows and the famous Kempe Ceiling. An equal treasure of St. Wulfran’s is its people, a lively and welcoming congregation. For details of services , go to St Wulfran’s dedicated website.